Thursday, September 12, 2013

Vintage Typewriter - Imperial - 80 years old

One of my pet hobbies is buying unusual stuff on eBay. Well, unusual to most people - its fun for me.

One of the things I like to buy are the old vintage typewriters. The ones which are over 50 - 100 years old. The ones with glass keys, cast iron bodies and the ones that give off that beautiful clack-clack sound when you hit the keys. There is also a satisfying tactile touch and feel to the whole process.

It seems silly to buy such an obsolete machine. (Most of my typewriters require some form of repair as well).

As a writer, however, I love these machines. You hit a key, and clack clack the letter or symbol comes out on paper, permanent, you can't erase it unless you destroy the paper.

And when you type you are forced by the rigid medium to keep on going - you can't go back and correct - you can't fuss over the last word - you just hammer it out. And that produces a certain beauty.


No comments: