Monday, July 16, 2012

Living with people suffering from bipolar disorders

Bipolar disorder or bipolar affective disorder, historically known as manic-depressive disorder, is a psychiatric diagnosis that describes a category of mood disorders defined by the presence of one or more episodes of abnormally elevated energy levels, cognition, and mood with or without one or more depressive episodes. The elevated moods are clinically referred to as mania or, if milder, hypomania. Individuals who experience manic episodes also commonly experience depressive episodes, or symptoms, or a mixed state in which features of both mania and depression are present at the same time. These events are usually separated by periods of "normal" mood; but, in some individuals, depression and mania may rapidly alternate, which is known as rapid cycling. Severe manic episodes can sometimes lead to such psychotic symptoms as delusions and hallucinations. The disorder has been subdivided into bipolar I, bipolar II, cyclothymia, and other types, based on the nature and severity of mood episodes.

One of my relatives that I'm close with suffers from some mental disorder. For many years, I suspected that this person suffers from bipolar disorder. I've tried my best to try and help this person - but its especially difficult when X refuses to acknowledge that there is a problem. I've heard from other people that X has admitted something is wrong with her. And recently, X suffered from a stroke? and was admitted to the hospital for a week.

At the heart of X's problem is the inability to admit mistakes, apologize and to fucking move on. X bears grudges and is keen to point out every kind of mistakes or errors while being silent on X's own fucking epic disastrous mistakes.

Trying to put up with X's shit is driving me insane. I need to go for a run.


3 comments:

Teddy Ursa said...

Some things that we cannot change, we have to learn to live with it.
And if X has someone whom she listens to, then perhaps talk to that someone for help? Or perhaps instead of helping X or telling her that she needs help, would it help if you tell her that you need her help? Sometimes reframing the issue helps in resolving a problem.

If all does not work, then it is time to accept that nothing will change and you just have to do the best you can. Good luck!

Yauming YMC said...

I guess I need help and counselling to deal with the problem. Often when I speak on the issues, it is when I lose my temper and let my anger speak for me. But I think you have a good point there- I need to reframe the issue and address it to her. But I find it hard just discussing the issue with X without angry words. She gets very defensive and adopts illogical positions. But yeah, its time to tell her I'm tired of dealing with the BS and something has to be negotiated.

Teddy Ursa said...

It's tough especially when emotions come into play. When things get personal, emotions come in, and this is a personal issue so I'm not surprised that your emotions come in... but I learnt through all the negotiation courses - not that I am good in any of them - that if you let your emotions come in, you will lose your ground.

No matter what, remember that words are like swords. And if you let anger get better of you, and say things in a fit of anger, you may create consequences that you've to live with... with someone so important, you might want to consider managing the situation very tenderly.

I hope things will get better soon!