Saturday, April 04, 2009

Melbourne Sydney

I think this may be the first time (in the long while) I've ever flown to Australia during the early day time. The plane took off at around 9.40am Singapore time.

When we got to Australia in the afternoon I had a nice view of the landscape. Look at it. Its like Mars. Vast tracts of reddish desert and red earth inhabited by no one. Its surreal. In a way, its also pretty horrifying in a human-centric way. It would be very difficult for any human being in live out here. Quite a few tourists, out on a ill planned road trip, have died out here.

The plane ride was not that bad. Got to ride the A380 into Sydney. The inflight entertainment was superb. The film players had individual memory slots for all the programs watched - so you could switch between stations and still return back to your lasting viewing point.

Sydney immigration was very 1970ish - quite likely because they haven't upgraded the services. Some of the immigration officers looked like they could belong in a bikie gang. I could let through quite quickly - with no hassles - probably due to the fact that I'm transiting to Melbourne.

No custom checks with the Melbourne domestic side - but I'm surprised that the public can just walk into the main baggage pick up area. I mean, a thief could just walk in - pick a luggage - and walk straight out like its a shopping mall.

Its raining now. Pouring actually - like a tropical thunder storm. We've never had anything like this for months. The last time was when I returned in December.

Looks like I've brought back some of the Singapore rain to Melbourne :)

No comments: