Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Young Woman in Gold Satin

This is a portrait of a young woman - done by the Melbourne artist Judy Drew. I like this sort of impressionist art - its one of the few modern art works that i can appreciate.

How I got this painting; I was walking down Burke Street one Sunday before Evening service - and chanced upon the Melbourne Fine Art Gallery. I was surprised that it was open and walked in - free exhibit - cool.

The Gallery was actually closing shop - it had just finished an auction of paintings by Judy Drew - some of her gorgeous work went for over five figures. All sold out except for one. This small painting.

It was sitting in an entrance of the gallery's staircase - and was consequently neglected by the clients. Its entitled Young Woman in Gold Satin. There is a peaceful serene countenance about the woman. I like it!!!!

I inquired about the price and was offered a discount. Hmm... I wish I could do this more often. I like buying stuff.

The photo of the portrait was taken at sunset - when the sunlight streams into my office.



2 comments:

Jelissa Mei said...

nice. the evening sun casts a different glow over the portrait and adds to its melancholy.

Yauming YMC said...

I found the painting interesting cos the Caucasian lady was wearing an oriental dress.