Saturday, January 10, 2009

Building Staircases in my Garden: Bluestone Steps

After a long hiatus - I'm back to doing the bluestone steps. I've did 3 flights before I left- just finished one this week.

I was planning to do just one more- but it looks like we need 2. Not one.

The problem is that the ground is slopping - which makes coming down a bit awkward.

I have to do two flights then.

The problem is - no bricks!!! I've run out of sufficient bluestone granite blocks for the job.

Not a terribly big obstacle though- I can buy some from the local garden supply depot. Or buy some off ebay. My friend - Andrew - came up with one better - someone was giving away the bluestone - about 20 minutes drive from my place.

Turns out this family had moved into their home and found all this bluestone which they didn't want. And being nice Samaritans - they decided to offer it up for whoever needs them. How generous!

They had just about the right number. I had to leave one behind though as I couldn't fit it into my Volvo and besides it was the wrong size. A Giant Cube. Too big. Great for a house or retaining wall tho.


No comments: