Tuesday, December 09, 2008

St Marks CJ Luke concert 08




Christopher J. Luke leads the choir and consort to perform Bach's Cantata 140. (And Purcell's Rejoice)

The music, singing was totally awesome. Oh my God, it was magnificent. Superb. sublime (awesome)!!! It was once again a supreme performance, truly edifying to the spirit and senses.

The solo violinist played well - but could have done with a mike for amplification. I was sitting directly in front of her and thought the music was somehow lost in the ambiance of that great church hall.

The soprano sang with clarity and smoothness like the voice of an angel. I was amazed!!! A strong beautiful voice! The tenor was pretty good too.

I know this might sound strange. But ( I believe that) God finds many small ways to bless me. I got a front row seat for this performance - and honestly the music overwhelmed me with joy and passion. I like to close my eyes and feel the music - it seems to take you to a holy realm. Some people might think I'm sleeping haha or nodding off. But I hope they didn't think that way.

Rejoice in the Lord always I say again rejoice!!

On a sidenote, the last time the church xmas choir and consort played this piece was in 2003 - actually, that concert was much better (but it had a larger number of scholar singers and orchestral musicians. Thanks2 my crazy memory) I can actually recall the music, the way it was played, and the musicians who performed this heavenly cantata 5 years ago.

Unfortunately its CJL's last year at St Marks - he's moving to Tasmania with his family. I hope he moves on to greater things - he's certainly a very very good music director and musician!

"Do you see a man skilled in his work? He will stand before Kings and not work with common men." Proverbs 22:29

I certainly hope this proverb comes true for Christopher.

No comments: