Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Sheer Joy!!! Bach Cantata concert St.MarksFitzroy Melbourne

I had the most happy fortune to attend the Christmas concert at the beautiful St Marks (150 George Street Fitzroy). Oh no, this is no ordinary Christmas concert with fake angels, a tinfoil nativity scene or... worse - confident singers who really can't sing.

St Marks Church hosts a classic music cantata - in early December. In this case, Bach's Cantata No. 140: Awaken Sleeper the Voice is Calling or (Wachet auf uns dis Stimme)."

I always try and attend the music concerts at St Marks. The music director - Christopher J. Luke - always puts out a really fabulous sterling performance.

Oh my God, the music was sheer magnificent. Superb. sublime (awesome)!!! Like chocolate for the ears.

It was once again an awesome performance. It was truly edifying, feeding the soul and senses. If I could I would very much like to sponsor this quality music on a regular basis and perhaps bring a new generation to fall in love with the music.

The solo violinist played well - but could have done with a mike for amplification. I was sitting directly in front of her and thought the music was somehow lost in the ambiance of that great church hall.

The soprano was exceptional and sang with clarity and smoothness like the voice of an angel. I was amazed!!! A strong beautiful voice! The tenors were also very good.

I know this might sound strange. But ( I believe that) God finds many small ways to bless me. I got a front row seat for this performance - and honestly this ancient music in a foreign tongue overwhelmed me with great joy and passion. I close my eyes and feel the music - and it takes me to a holy realm. Some people might think I'm sleeping haha or nodding off. But I hope the singers didn't think that way.

Rejoice in the Lord always I say again rejoice!!

On a sidenote, I think its about time I started learning to read music notes.

The last time the church xmas choir and consort played this piece was in 2003 - actually, that concert was much better - it had a larger number of scholar singers and orchestral musicians. Thanks2 my crazy memory I can actually recall the music, the way it was played, and the musicians who performed this heavenly cantata 5 years ago.

Unfortunately its CJL's last year at St Marks - he's moving to Tasmania with his family. I hope he moves on to greater things - he's certainly a very very good music director and musician!

"Do you see a man skilled in his work? He will stand before Kings and not work with common men." Proverbs 22:29

I certainly hope this proverb comes true for Christopher.

No comments: