Monday, November 24, 2008

Marble Ray Maldives




Maldives, Indian Ocean. 1st dive of day. 27th May. Gurado Channel Depth 30m?

We spotted a large Marble Ray, size of a large coffee table. Diameter 3m - 4m?

I approached it pointblank. Got within touching distance. Stupid thing for me to do really as its tail can break a man's thigh bone. And the next thing I know I'll be saying hello to Steve Irwin.

The Manta was in an aggressive posture. Back arched. Tail up. Its tail can break leg bone and its barb can crush a man's chest. I took pains to approach it slowly not provoking it any further. It looked hollow as its gills opened and closed. In hindsight it was a very rash thing for me to do. Please don't follow my example - it could get you killed.

(My camera was not sync to local time so I'm not sure)

3 comments:

薛 瑾 said...

if i ever see this within touching distance....i'm sure dying of excitement..

Yauming YMC said...

Yeah, I nearly died too - but the Manta decided not to kill me that day.

Victor Chai said...

Go Maldives!!