Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Equinox 70th floor Swissotel




I honestly didn't know where to have dinner tonight; its my birthday. Initially I took my date to one of the ordinary restaurants. Turns out they only serve crepes. So we had a strawberry ice cream and left and went searching...

I was after a place that had ambiance, nice views, quiet, good food, service, etc.. I like to enjoy good food and be in an environment where you can have a pleasant conversation without diners or staff yelling (in Cantonese), shouting or otherwise talking very loudly and rudely. I so hate that...

Soooo... Went up to the 70th floor of the Swissotel to check out Jaan, a boutique fine dining restaurant that had a good review by
http://chubbyhubby.net/blog/?p=542

Jaan looked ok. The deco was rather spartan though. And it was smaller than the Equinox.

And the views were definitely better at Equinox which was on the same floor. As you can see - the views were spectacular!!!! Floor to Ceiling Windows. Panoramic Views!!! You could see the Esplanade, the Concert Hall, Clarke Quey, the CBD skyline, Parliament, the Merlion, and the Ferris Wheel etc... everything worth seeing. My date couldn't get enough of the scenery.

We ordered steak. My date had the Black Angus, and I had the Wagyu which cost twice as much. I thought the Black Angus tasted better. With the amount of money we paid - we could have gone to Phuket and back; maybe next time :D

In fact, they were the best steaks I've tasted in a long time. Much better than the ones I've had in some of the steak houses in Carlton, Melb.

The steaks went down well with the Aussie Shiraz. The soup - Bouillabaise- was worth skipping though. Same goes for the overpriced water, but it goes with the territory I guess.

We had the cake at my date's home with her family, not at the restaurant. No way I was going to have the waiters singing happy birthday while the rest of the other diners looked on bemused... that would have been so provincial.

A very excellent way to spend a special day.

Special thanks to my special friend for sharing this moment with me - and for providing the Black Forest birthday cake!!!

9 comments:

Classiclicious Jo Ann C said...

Is this the Wagyu beef ?

Classiclicious Jo Ann C said...

delicious....pass me a piece pls.

Classiclicious Jo Ann C said...

so handsome looking here. Happy brithday dude :)

Yauming YMC said...

Yes, it is. Pardon the poor photography- but my diving camera doesn't do a good job of food. Medium Rare. Comes with the Idaho potatoes and the asparagus. Great combo. Cost $128. Worth a try once in a while.

bianca p said...

nice view!

Yauming YMC said...

Thanks for the well-wishers!! Great day. Great date. Great Meal!!

Yauming YMC said...

Stunning. Worth a visit. Check it out even if you don't plan to dine there. The Bar (on the 69th? floor also has a stunning view).

Classiclicious Jo Ann C said...

It is new asia bar. Yeah can always go for a drink or two at Equinox and New Asia Bar.:)

Erwin Loh said...

Happy Birthday! :D