Monday, October 20, 2008

My Rose Garden Oct 08




I love roses, especially the red rose - multiple petal diamond shape variety. I've had these roses for over 10 years now. They look beautiful. Some of them started life as cuttings. They are quite easy to take care of - if you don't mind spending a few hours in the garden a week. I personally find it very satisfying, therapeutic even, to do gardening. There's something intensely fulfilling taking care of flowers, watching them grow, and seeing their flowers blossom.

Unfortunately, while I was away in Singapore, there was no one to take care of the garden. Mulch was not applied to the flower beds and consequently the flower beds was overrun with weeds. Its terrible when the grass shoot embed themselves into the roots of the roses - then its sheer hell trying to get them out. Despite that, the roses still survived. See! They look so pretty!

I spent a good two - four weeks cleaning up the garden beds, placing fertilizer (Dynamic Lifter!!!), and weeding, weeding weeding.

Still have more weeding to do :( but its rewarding.

I've got to go buy a truckload of mulch next week and cover the lawn before I come back to Singapore. But first I've got to get some old newspaper to lay down as a weed suppressor then the mulch goes on top.

I think it'll look great!

No comments: