Thursday, October 23, 2008

Love letters - John + Abigail Adams




This video recounts the love letters between John Adams, one of the leaders of the American Revolution, and his wife Abigail - who have 50 years - were still deeply in love with each other.

Watch the video - listen carefully to the words - and you can feel the warmth, love, devotion and respect they had for each other.

Truly John Adams was so blessed to have such a wife!!

What an amazing relationship! The last part of the video - is Adam's letter to the nation in which he cautions the people to make good use of their personal freedom so dearly bought on their behalf.

Their letters to each other are available online.
http://www.masshist.org/digitaladams/aea/cfm/doc.cfm?id=L17821223aa

This is the text of one of Abigail's letters to her husband.

My dearest Friend
I have omited writing by the last opportunity to Holland; because I had but small Faith in the designs of the owners or passengers. The vessel sails from Nantucket, Dr. Winship is a passenger, a Mr. Gray and some others -- and I had just written you so largely by a vessel bound to France, the General Galvaye, that I had nothing New to say. There are few occurences in this Northen climate at this Season of the year to divert or entertain you -- and in the domestic way should I draw you the picture of my Heart, it would be what I hope you still would Love; tho it containd nothing New;

I look back to the early days of our acquaintance; and Friendship, as to the days of Love and Innocence; and with an undiscribable pleasure I have seen near a score of years roll over our Heads, with an affection heightned and improved by time -- nor have the dreary years of absence in the smallest degree effaced from my mind the Image of the dear untittled man to whom I gave my Heart.

I cannot sometimes refrain considering the Honours with which he is invested as badges of my unhappiness. The unbounded confidence I have in your attachment to me, and the dear pledges of our affection, has soothed the solitary hour, and rendered your absence more supportable; for had I have loved you with the same affection, it must have been misery to have doubted. Yet a cruel world too often injures my feelings, by wondering how a person possess of domestic attachments can sacrifice them by absenting himself for years.

If you had known said a person to me the other day; that Mr. A-s [Adams] would have remained so long abroad; would you have consented that he should have gone? I recollected myself a moment, and then spoke the real dictates of my Heart. If I had known Sir that Mr. A. could have affected what he has done; I would not only have submitted to the absence I have endured; painful as it has been; but I would not have opposed it, even tho 3 years more should be added to the Number, which Heaven avert! I feel a pleasure in being able to sacrifice my selfish passions to the general good, and in imitating the example which has taught me to consider myself and family, but as the small dust of the balance when compared with the great community.
Adieu. I need not say how much I am Your ever faithful Friend.

No comments: