Monday, July 28, 2008

Motherhood and the Disabled Child

One thing I dread is becoming a father to a severely mentally disabled child, or physically handicapped. I feel very sad for such people as it will be practically impossible for them to develop fully into a functioning human being - and one day leave the care of their parents and eventually care for them.

You can sugar coat it in many ways. But the awful truth remains. Its not all there. I think the true heroes are the people who look at their child - and say, "I know you will never understand me. But despite of what you are - I am still your parent - and I love you nonetheless."

One columnist has written about her frustration of bearing such a child. Couldn't take it - and gave the child away. However her reaction and attitude to the whole tragedy however seems frighteningly cold. And she's moved on... perhaps a bit too fast.

Something is wrong here. Another columnist isn't happy jan with her. Read her comments here.

I think the whole affair speaks volumes of our narcissistic self-absorbed meritocratic culture.





No comments: