Friday, June 06, 2008

Scuba Diving

I love scuba diving. Its something extraordinary to be in another world if only for less than 60 minutes each time. Its beautiful man. Just before the dive I am totally tense. 100 things goes on in my head- is my air ok? did I forget something? what if what if? Then I jump in and descend. And I am totally relaxed - at peace.

I like to jump in first- so that I can take my time and descend at my leisure. Sometimes it takes me ages to equalize. (If I jump in last- the whole darn thing is ruined as I have to scramble my way to the group- and if the current is strong - I face the strong possibility of being swept away and losing the group- not a pleasant prospect).

At the Maldives trip, I discovered the joys of descending head down - like free falling. You're got to descend below 7m first though- pump out the excess air. Then roll back- relax - and descend. Its mind blowing as the blood rushes out of your head- and the air bubbles expand.

At the dive, I love to swim upside down and gaze at the "sky". Its unreal. How kind of describe the experience of being in an underworld upside down?

Then I turn, and spin around, and round and round. Its the closest thing you'll get to being in outerspace.

No comments: