Monday, June 16, 2008

13 degrees Celsius on a cold Melbourne night

Man, it was positively chilly willy in Melbourne - 13C - nothing of course compared to North Hemphishere freezing temperatures. But for a Singaporean thats really very cold.

6pm. And the sky is already black like raven's back.

So whats a guy to do? Why break out a bottle of red wine - a nice Cab Sab (Cabernet Sauvignon) and enjoy the pleasures of a few drinks-  something that can not be fully appreciated in warm weather, oh no.

Wine is rather heaty- makes you flush red - it feels odd if you are in a place where its usually 30C. But when its cold - its just nice.

And of course, start my fireplace. Hmmm... took me awhile, as I didn't have any old newspapers - so I had to resort to junk mail as kindling. Stored over a ton of red gum firewood in my garage -  its about time I used them.

Nice warm fireplace, red wine, cool jazz music in the background... very nice. Hmm... whats missing??? Thats right! Some cheddar cheese! Found some in my fridge - of unknown vintage. lol. Taste just right though - with crackers.

A quiet evening. Serene.

The winter evening settles down
With smell of steaks in passageways.
Six o'clock.
The burnt-out ends of smoky days.
Preludes: T.S. Eilot


No comments: