Thursday, June 28, 2007

Move your @ss!!!!

I said to myself - in between several expletives. Move your @ss!!! Gotta move. Gotta go. Put on the shoes. Turn off the damn computer. No! Don't check the email again!!! Move!!!

Its a mental struggle trying to get to the gym. A physical struggle too- my shoulder was  seriously playing up and tormenting me. My knee caps were hurting. A hot bath perhaps... no, no, no. Maybe I should check my email again... NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

So I put on my MP3 and play Aimee Mann - a light push, something surreal, nothing too moody, and off I go. Step out of the door... opps... walk back in again... sunglasses... back out again.

First thing I did when I got to the gym was to get on the treadmill. Crank up "Running One" and off I go. Thump. Thump. Thump. And there I am. Cruising along at speed 10. In a few minutes, I've totally forgot all my previous problems. A slight stomach cramp at the 2k mark. And by the time I reach 3k, my trainer shows up. My knee caps ache a bit- but my shoulder problem is totally gone. Amazing.

"Someone died yesterday", said my trainer. "In this gym.". He looked like he was about to cry.

My trainer was a bit depressed about it- as he was one of several bystanders (including a doctor and nurse) giving CPR to the man. (The medics took 20 minutes to arrive to this city gym). The victim's heart beat was faint when they took him away to the hospital. DOA though.

It could be that he was suffering from dehydration. His throat was dry. My trainer reckons that the deceased was low on fluids so it would have caused his blood to be thick- greatly increasing the pressure on the heart. (Memo: drinking green tea in the morning is suppose to lower the risk of heart attack). Anyhow, my trainer was very upset about it. I didn't ask too many questions. But I let my trainer talk for awhile about it - it helps to relieve whatever is going thru his mind. The deceased was a regular at the gym.

The man collapsed using the treadmill, in case you are wondering.

No comments: