Friday, June 15, 2007

Hard Eight

Rating:★★★★★
Category:Movies
Genre: Drama
Its a mysterious story about how a hard edged gambler befriends a young drifter who just lost all his money in Vegas. This is PT Anderson (Boogie Nights) first film which he also wrote and directed. Low budget, minimal plot- but sleek directing/editing and outstanding performances by veteran actor Philip Baker Hall, Gwyneth Paltrow, and Samuel L. Jackson who plays a sinister crook to the T.

However, its Phillip B. Hall - who plays the role of the retired gangster - that steals the limelight. Watching him is like savoring a glass of fine red wine. Its truly remarkable how he can bring presence onto the screen with just simple gestures and laconic phrases. The hypnotic and funky soundtrack music also gave weight to the ambiance.

My favorite line in the movie?

The way Sydney (P.B. Hall) says this line: "Hey John... there's something I need to tell you. Its something you need to know. Its important. ... I need to tell you... I love you John. I love you like you're my own son."

Watch it you'll see why.

No comments: