Friday, May 25, 2007

Stuff I collect: Noritake, Staunton etc..


Noritake Arlene design circa 1950s. (not to be confused with Arlene 1930s design). Cream plate with decal flowers - silver trim. Note the delicate flower design. This really is one of the best and most elegant designs Noritake came up with.

Still beautiful after over 50 years of use.

I like to collect pretty things, beautiful objects, well made. Lately, I've been collecting old teak and ebony Jacques Martin Staunton chess sets and old Nortitake porcelain pieces..

The staunton chess set that you see comes from England- made in the 19th century. The king alone weighs about 10g and is filled with lead. Usually they sell for about $1,000 per set. I bought mine for about $200 including postage.
They are very very hard to come by though.

Noritake is a famous Japanese porcelain company that started in the 19th century. You can read about their history here:
http://www.noritakecollectorsguild.info/

Noritake gives special name to its different design sets: like Alice, Arlene, Arabesque, Doral. Glenwood, Smithfield, Shangrila etc..

I collect the Noritake Arlene. I love its floral chic country pattern design.

Vintage Noritake is worth collecting - its elegant, well made, well designed, long lasting and very popular, you can pick up an old tea set on eBay for less than $100. (Postage is another matter though)

There are two types of Noritake Arlene. A fine bone china type - with gold trim and elaborate flower decal marking - made in the 1930s. Some of the individual flowers appear to be hand painted. Its got a lovely tinkling sound when you rest the cup and saucer together.

In the 1950s and 1960s, Noritake simplified the design and made it cream with silver trim. The porcelain was made slightly thicker. The old elaborate flower design was replaced with a subtle country chic rose and grey leave design. I prefer the newer one - plus its easier to collect.

Nonetheless the two different Noritake Arlene tea cups are beautifully made - exquisite - with no sign of cracks/ crazying or age discoloration !!!

Fine bone china - means the porcelain is thin enough to allow the tea/coffee to rapidly cool and thus enable the drinker to sip and drink from a freshly poured hot cup without getting scalded.

The porcelain that is currently being made now are more hardier - I think its refered to as "stone" wear.

You probably can purchase fine bone china today - but it would cost a fortune. Personally I'd avoid English made porcelain.

I also take great pleasure in purchasing these antique Noritake sets because they are such great value for money. You can purchase a good set for about $100 - $300.

But I try and collect just one particular variety - "the Arlene". Otherwise my house would become way too cluttered. Oh wait, it already is. Fail. However if I can pick up another set for a very cheap price, I don't mind. Recently I purchased a Doral set (made in the 1990s) for $16.49. Cheaper than paper plates.

In Singapore, it is harder to purchase old porcelain sets - because the 2nd hand market for porcelain is weak.

You have to be patient or just lucky. I had the good fortune to find and purchase a perfect Smithfield set- still in the original Noritake cardboard boxes and paper wrapping for $228 here in Singapore 2 years back. I think it was the owner's old wedding present - never used. I felt like I had found lost treasure. haha.

Drinking from a beautiful fine bone china cup makes me feel oh so civilized. :)

2 comments:

Wayne O'Donnell said...

Hi , Nice pieces, we have a Noritake Collectors Group if you are interested, please visit my site for details

Yauming YMC said...

Apparently its an old Noritake Arlene type - made in the 1930s. It later evolved to the more simpler - yet elegant silver and shabby rose design.