Friday, February 09, 2007

Don't go to Graduate School!!!

Google filed papers to regulators that revealed how much YouTube's founders and initial investors made when they agreed to be acquired by Google last year. Google paid $1.65 billion in stock for the popular video-sharing site.

Google shares worth $345 million went to YouTube co-founder and CEO Chad Hurley. Another founder, Steven Chen, got $326 million.

The third co-founder, Jawed Karim, quit the company early on to go to grad school, but still collected Google shares worth $64 million

I wonder whether Jawed is kicking himself in the pants as we speak. Then again, if he learnt anything from Grad School - it'd be to take the money and run.

$64,000,000.00 is still nothing to sneeze at. Thank God he got that much. Imagine if he had given up all his Youtube shares early on to pay for his grad school tuition. Ow! THAT WOULD HURT!!!!

I wonder what Steven Chen and Chad Hurley plan to do with the money?

If it was me- I'd stash 10 million away in an offshore bank account in several reputable banks and in a range of currencies- including gold and silver.

Then I'd part off another 100 million to a good managed fund - run by a team of experienced traders.

Hmmm... I'd give at least 33 million to charity...

Maybe buy properties around the world...

But definately I'd find a home where I can relax in peace and security. There's always a price to fame.

No comments: