Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Memory Loss

I haven't been sleeping well since I've come back to Singapore. I'm not too sure why. Maybe its because of the air con, or maybe its because I'm allergic to something in my bedroom like my featherdown pillows- about 2 years old.

Whenever I lose sleep, my memory slips, I can't remember where I put things. Its awful.

I just lost my new sunglasses. Next time I need to bring along the box otherwise I keep on placing it on my shirt, or my head- and then when I sit down somewhere, I place it on the table and forget about it. Hmmm... come to think of it- I have a bad habit of losing the small things- like my housekeys, my wallet, my pens...

The thing that really pissed me off was the loss of a set of DVDs that I brought back from Melbourne. I placed them in a plastic bag- the first thing I did when I opened up my suitcase when I arrived here in Singapore was to take them out and place them in a "safe place".

Right now, they might as be in the Bermuda Triangle. I spent two whole days tearing apart my room looking for the three DVDs.

In the end, in a Greek mythical way, the search became more important than the objects themselves.

But it is very troubling when I took the trouble to secure an item, and then it promptly vanishes. I call it black gaps in my memory when I can't recollect something that happened quite recently. Its strange how my memory works- I can remember things of interest or peculiar or something special about the moment in time. But for simple ordinary stuff like where I put my house keys, mobile phone etc.. - I draw a blank.

This is especially so when I'm tired.

No comments: