Monday, November 20, 2006

The Hidden Forest

I woke up this morning to the sound of birds. Normally, its usually the noisy racket coming from the school next door to my place- St Margaret's Primary.

But today, its about as peaceful as a hidden forest.

(I was going to say graveyard... but that would sound too goth)

Yesterday I had to visit a relative- silly bugger that I am- I decided to take the bus at night. The problem was that the public buses don't travel down the road towards his home.

The bus dropped me outside Coronation Plaza and I walked... and walked... and walked... deep into the estate.

Took me about 20 minutes or so to get there.

Along the way I passed a large grassy field. I thought it was remarkable that it was there- unused. The land prices in that Bukit Timah area is very expensive- consequently all the land is used- there's not even a footpath or nature strip. Just brick, concrete and terracotta. Few trees.

I also noticed a few abandoned homes. Those were quite creepy- empty locked up with big chains at their doors. They looked positively foreboding.

After I saw my relative- I walked out again. It started to rain. My body was already drenched in sweat so I didn't mind. The rain had a cool fragrance.

No comments: